Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 1-2 MK Dons

13 January 2024

Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 1-2 MK Dons

13 January 2024

Tranmere Rovers suffered a late 2-1 defeat at the hands of MK Dons, ending their home league winning run.

The visitors opened the scoring on nine minutes, as Alex Gilbey found the bottom corner from range. 

Rovers were level just three minutes later as Kieron Morris’ deflected effort beat Michael Kelly. 

However, substitute Ellis Harrison found the target in added time to send the away side home with the points. 

Both sides started quickly, with Rovers attacking first. Connor Jennings held up the ball well in the box and won a corner, which came to nothing. 

MK Dons took the lead inside the first ten minutes as Gilbey charged forward and placed a shot from distance into the bottom corner. 

However, Rovers responded just a couple of minutes later. Dan Pike picked out Morris with a delightful long ball, and the midfielder took it down, cut inside and found the net via a deflection. 

The visitors built patiently as they looked to retake the lead, Joe Tomlinson fired a low effort into the arms of Luke McGee as the clock hit 20. 

Tom Davies got in the way of a fierce shot from Jack Payne as MK Dons continued to search. Pike was then on hand to block Gilbey’s close-range chance in the penalty area, following a good ball in from the right. 

Morris was robbed of the ball just inside the MK half and the visitors broke, McGee produced a superb save to deny Gilbey one-on-one. 

The Rovers stopper had to rush out again to close Dan Kemp this time, as the first half neared its end. Mike Williamson’s side had enjoyed most of the possession, but the teams went in level.  

Kemp sliced a shot wide in the box nine minutes into the second period. The visiting forward had scored at Prenton Park for Swindon Town three weeks ago, during his loan spell with the Robins. 

On the hour mark, Tomlinson tried his luck with a curling effort from range which McGee gathered. Rovers were straight on the counter and won a corner after Jordan Turnbull’s shot deflected behind. The delivery was claimed easily by goalkeeper Michael Kelly. 

Jennings’ claims for handball were waved away by referee Darren Drysdale, after his first-time effort was blocked in the penalty area. Up the other end, Lofthouse pulled an effort wide of the near post. 

Another chance fell for Jennings, a header at the back post from Dan Pike’s deep cross, but Kelly gathered. The game was very much becoming an end-to-end affair, Payne blasted over for MK Dons shortly after the Rovers chance. 

Payne saw another effort trickle wide of the near post before Kemp missed the target with a powerful effort inside the box. 

Substitute Ellis Harrison missed a golden opportunity to give MK Dons the lead late on, as he was slid through one-on-one but dragged his shot wide of the goal. 

Rovers then had a chance of their own to win it as added time loomed, Jennings feeding Rob Apter who fired over after being forced onto his weaker right foot. 

However, Rovers suffered late heartbreak when an MK Dons corner caused issues in the box and fell to Harrison at the back post, who fired home to send the away side home with the points. 


TRANMERE ROVERS: McGee, Pike (Yarney 90+3), Davies (c), Turnbull, Wood (J. Norris 90+3), Apter, Walker (Hawkes 79’), Hendry, Morris (McAlear 68’), Jennings, Jolley (Lewis 68’) 

SUBS NOT USED: Murphy, Dennis 

MILTON KEYNES DONS: Kelly, Norman, Lewington (c), O’Hora, Williams, Gilbey, Payne, Tomlinson, Dean (Harrison 72’), Kemp, Lofthouse (Leko 72’) 

SUBS NOT USED: MacGillivray, Eisa, Smith, Grant 

ATTENDANCE: 6,861 (344 away) 


This match report is sponsored by Just Click Marketing. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account