Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Scunthorpe 0-0 Tranmere

10 April 2021

Match Reports

Report: Scunthorpe 0-0 Tranmere

10 April 2021

Tranmere Rovers played out a 0-0 draw at Scunthorpe United, with the visitors creating a number of chances but unable to find a way through. 

Keith Hill made one change from the starting eleven which drew with Cambridge United, as Jay Spearing missed his first league game of the campaign through injury, Ali Crawford stepping in for the former Liverpool and Blackburn man.

Meanwhile, Nya Kirby came into the matchday squad and was named on the bench following Spearing’s absence.

A long direct pass from Manny Monthe picked out the run of Kaiyne Woolery, who took a clever first touch on the edge of the box but hitting wide before the ten minute mark.

Lovely play from Tranmere as the visitors showed great movement to open up space for Woolery again to take aim, but his shot dragged wide.

Tranmere gifted James McAtee an opportunity to race through on goal but Joe Murphy used his experience to make himself big and deny United’s midfielder.

Crawford was proving to be a thorn in Scunthorpe’s side and he came close after the half hour mark, with his shot deflecting just wide for a corner kick.

Elegant football and delicate touches saw Rovers create another chance, but Lewis hit wide, and seconds later, Crawford headed over from a glorious position.

The second half began with Crawford having a shot on target in the first minute but he scuffed his effort, resulting in a comfortable save for the Iron goalkeeper.

A nice ball up towards Woolery, with two defenders tracking our number 14, he fired over the bar.

A corner to the back post from Feeney was met by the rising Lewis to force the goalkeeper to push a header over the cross bar 11 minutes into the second period.

In the 64th minute, David Nugent came on for Lloyd in the first change for TRFC.

Another chance went by the wayside for Rovers after a great run by Lewis was picked out by Otis Khan, but the goalkeeper was on hand to make the stop.

Tranmere were consistently asking questions of the Scunthorpe backline as the pressure mounted for an important opening goal

Minutes later, Corey Blackett-Taylor came on for Crawford and Feeney was withdrawn for Keiron Morris.

A free kick to the back post evaded everyone and creeped wide, a big opportunity missed by TRFC.

Despite Tranmere’s pressure, they were unable to get a goal and the score finished 0-0. 

Tranmere: Murphy, Khan, Clarke, Monthe, MacDonald, Crawford (Blackett-Taylor 74), O’Connor, Lewis, Feeney (Morris 79), Woolery, Lloyd (Nugent 64). Unused subs: Jones, Ridehalgh, Ray, Morris, Nugent, Kirby,

The next match for Rovers will be against Walsall on Tuesday 13th April, 7pm kick-off, and it will be live on iFollow. To subscribe, please CLICK HERE.

The match report is sponsored by MAIN.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account