Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Harrogate 2-2 Tranmere

19 October 2021

Match Reports

Report: Harrogate 2-2 Tranmere

19 October 2021

Kieron Morris secured Tranmere Rovers a point in a 2-2 draw away at Harrogate Town in Sky Bet League Two on Tuesday night.

Rovers were ahead just after the half-hour through Jay Spearing’s penalty before Jack Muldoon equalised minutes later from the spot.

Luke Armstrong headed Harrogate into a 52nd minute lead prior to Morris heading in a leveller two minutes later.

Manager Micky Mellon named an unchanged side from Saturday’s 1-0 win away at Carlisle United.

Playing in their claret and blue away strip, Rovers had a great chance within four minutes, after Josh Hawkes found Sam Foley, an0d his shot from the left side of the box squeezed under goalkeeper Mark Oxley but was cleared off the line by Josh Falkingham.

Simon Weaver’s Sulphurites created their first opportunity through Will Smith’s header, which went wide of Ross Doohan’s left-hand post from George Thomason’s free-kick.

Captain Peter Clarke was well-positioned to clear Alex Pattison’s cross to safety, as Rovers were forced to defend.

With 29 minutes played, Calum MacDonald’s cross was met by Hawkes on the volley, that Oxley beat away.

Rovers were in front from the penalty spot on 32 minutes, as Josh Dacres-Cogley was brought down by Jack Diamond.

Spearing took responsibility from 12-yards and converted his right-footed kick into the bottom left-corner, despite Oxley diving the right way.

Searching for a second, Morris found Hawkes, however Oxley was there to save.

Harrogate were back in the contest through a penalty of their own after Smith was fouled after a free-kick was sent into TRFC’s box.

Muldoon stepped up to strike right-footed, sending Doohan the wrong way to find the top right-corner.

Towards the end of the half, Doohan was placed to save from Diamond and Smith, which saw Rovers go into the break level.

Six minutes into the second-half, Rovers found themselves a goal behind. Doohan did well to initially deny Pattison, with the ball looping to the far post into Thomson’s path, who headed across for Amstrong to divert a header past Doohan.

Rovers were back on terms on 55 minutes. Elliott Nevitt thumped the crossbar from close-range after Hawkes’ cross, with Morris heading in the follow-up in front of a packed-out away end.

Mellon made his first change, as Hawkes limped off and he was replaced by Liam Feeney on 61 minutes.

In the closing 20 minutes, Morris couldn’t meet Feeney’s cross, and it was cleared by Warren Burrell, with Rovers in pursuit of a third goal.

Doohan was forced to strongly punch the ball out after a battle between Armstrong and Clarke.

Muldoon was next to try his luck for Harrogate, but his shot from distance went off target and over the crossbar.

Callum McManaman then hit the crossbar from Feeney’s cross before Elliott Nevitt was inches away from poking in a winner, with Rovers earning a point in North Yorkshire.

Our next game is this Saturday, 3pm kick-off, at home to Northampton Town. Tickets are available to buy now via 

Tranmere: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Davies, Clarke, McDonald, Spearing, Foley, McManaman, Morris, Hawkes (Feeney 61), Nevitt

Subs not used: Murphy, O’Connor, Knight-Percival, Duffy, Watson, Maynard


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account